- Melinda K. Bowens
Keeping It Simple: Recap
Hey guys! Wanted to do a recap of this week with you as we prepare to head into week THREE of “Keeping It Simple.” If there were questions you wanted to spend more time on or verses you wanted research more, this is the time. Below are all of the themes, questions, and verses from each day!
Day 8: Words
Our private words build our public lives.
1. What are three things you say to yourself that don’t match the life you desire to have?
2. Write three affirmations that confirm the life you desire.
3. Post these affirmations in a place you can see them daily.
Kind words bring life, but cruel words crush your spirit.
Proverbs 15:4 GNT
What you say can preserve life or destroy it; so you must accept the consequences of your words.
Proverbs 18:21 GNT
In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire.
James 3:5 NLT
Words of thanksgiving and cursing pour out from the same mouth. My friends, this should not happen!
James 3:10 GNT
Day 9: Roles
The antidote to control is trust.
1. List each of your roles and their responsibilities (include family, work, church, etc…)
2. Are each of these roles yours to have? Why or why not?
3. If a role is not yours to have, how can you eliminate it or give it back to its owner?
In the same way, though we are many, we are one body in union with Christ, and we are all joined to each other as different parts of one body.
Romans 12:5 GNT
For as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:9 HCSB
O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them.
Psalm 40:5 NLT
Help carry one another's burdens, and in this way you will obey the law of Christ.
Galatians 6:2 GNT
We each must carry our own load.
Galatians 6:5 CEV
Day 10: Alignment
Create community. Live in community. Thrive in community.
1. What are your core beliefs/values?
2. Do your thoughts, words, and actions match those beliefs/values? If not, how can this change today?
3. How can community help you live out your beliefs/values more strongly?
A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
James 1:8 KJV
My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back
James 5:19 NIV
And if someone overpowers one person, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not easily broken.
Ecclesiastes 4:12 HCSB
As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.
Proverbs 27:17 NLT
Day 11: Responsibilities
Yes, we all have responsibilities. No, they don’t have to suck.
1. List your responsibilities in life.
2. Which do you believe are from God? Which do you believe you created?
3. How can you see your responsibilities from God more positively?
For each person will have to carry his own load.
Galatians 6:5 HCSB
We pull down every proud obstacle that is raised against the knowledge of God; we take every thought captive and make it obey Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5 GNT
Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God.
Romans 14:12 NLT
Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
Colossians 3:23 NLT
Day 12: Reflection
Reflection gives us the space to evaluate our life direction.
1. What time will you set aside to reflect? Be specific about the day and amount of time.
2. What is working in your life? How can you do more of this?
3. What is not working in your life? How can these areas be more submitted to Christ?
For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like.
James 1:23-24 NLT
It is your own face that you see reflected in the water and it is your own self that you see in your heart.
Proverbs 27:19 GNT
I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate.
Romans 7:15 NLT